Thursday, August 4, 2016

Gyonyu Dam


Early on the second day of my walk around the Kunisaki Peninsula I quickly pass the highest point, which I will be revisiting in a few days when I come up from the south. I carry on east towards the coast where I have a room booked for the night.


Partway down I soon come to the resrvoir behind Gyonyu Dam. Finished in 1997 the dam is for "flood control", which is really just code for " we have shedloads of cash to pour as much concrete as we can". The construction industry in Japan occupies a similar position in the economy as does the military industrial complex in the USA.


There are more dams in Japan, per capita, and per acre, than anywhere else. There is not a river that has not been dammed.


The reservoir is quite pretty, especially with the low sunlight and the remnants of Fall color. From here the valley descends and widens as it approaches Kunisaki Town.


3 comments:

  1. There is still a river that has not been damned yet- one! The Shimanto river in Kochi, Shikoku. I only know this because I did the Shikoku Henro. That was the river's claim to fame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there is an 80 meter high dam on the Shimanto...... technically there are no LARGE dams..... but that has morphed into no dams.... always best to check facts against claims :)

      Delete
  2. Many thanks for your very interesting text and images

    ReplyDelete