Monday, September 8, 2014

Izumo 33 Kannon Pilgrimage Temple 21 Kiyomizudera


I have been to Kiyomizudera several times, but this was the first time I approached through the old pilgrim trail through the mountains. This way brings you to the Nio Gate. Most people come to the temple by car from the opposite side, and for them the Niomon is "behind" the temple. I have posted on the nio and some of the Fudo Myo statues here.


It has the only 3 storied pagoda in the San-in region. Kiyomizudera means "temple of pure water" and there are many temples named this across Japan, but this may be the oldest.


There is a nice set of Inari shrines and altars in the grounds. More photos can be found here.


It is now a Tendai sect temple and as well as being on the Izumo 33 Kannon Pilgrimage it is also on the Chugoku 33 Kannon Pilgrimage, so I will be back here as I have started to walk that one too.


An earlier post with more of the history can be found here. Today I did not dally as it was getting late and I wanted to reach the next temple, Unjuji, a few K downhill from here before ending this leg of the pilgrimage.


1 comment:

  1. If you carry on uphill a bit past the pagoda, there's a great grove of sakura, and nice views of Naka-umi. Great picnic/camp spot.

    ReplyDelete