Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Iwami 33 Kannon Pilgrimage Temple 1 Enno-ji


iw755

While searching for the first temple of the Iwami 33 Kannon Pilgrimage in Oda City I thought I had found it when I came across a small, plain, non-descript little buddhist building with a statue of Kannon at the water basin.

iw757

Behind it was a small cave with an altar, and from the cave a path led up the small hillside...

iw756

Along the path were a series of small statues. Obviously a miniature pilgrimage though I didnt explore further.
I was not expecting much in terms of grand temples on this pilgrimage, Iwami is after all a poor and remote area, but I thought that the first temple would have been a bit grander...

iw762

And then 100 meters further along the lane I found Enno-ji.

iw760

Established in 894 the main deity is yakushi Nyorai. Now the temple belongs to the Shingon sect.

0 comments:

Post a Comment